Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Chang's (CSWS): Chapter III: Blood adn Fire, with Occasional Music

This chapter talks about the formation of different gangs-foster children, runaway children, and others sought comfort, shelter, and protection in the gangs. Gangs were formed to better their community, fight racism, request for justice, education, and better education, and to solve their common problems. Gangs were set apart by the color they wore, style, and code.

It appears for the most part that gangs have a bad reputation. They are seen as individuals who kill, rob, and lack respect. While it may be true to a certain extent but by reading this chapter gangs that were formed in the 60's in the Bronx were for other reasons. As I previously stated that they wanted freedom and equality.

In 96' I moved to Columbia Heights, it wasn't a bad neighborhood but it was great. I noticed the guys that would hang on the corner-I was quick to stereo-type them as members of a gang. As time went by we acknowledge each other. Most of them lived on my block or the next block. One day I was walking to my house, my neighbors(the group of guys)were hanging out on the corner. This one guy who I had never seen began to bother me. When my neighbors noticed they said to that guy,"yo, leave her alone." I see this as my neighbors protecting their community. This experience makes we think that a gang can can be a group of people that come together, to share common interests, and are not necessarily bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment