Thursday, July 1, 2010

Chang's Chapter VI-Furious Styles: The Evolution of Style in the Seven-Mile World

When I was in Private school I would take the red line metro from Takoma Park to Dupont Circle. The metro tracks were above ground from were I boarded the metro, right before the Union Station tunnel. As I looked out the window; I recall seeing graffiti on buildings. A name that I saw alot, if I remember correctly was DJ Cool or just Cool. I found the graffiti interesting but I saw it as vandalism.

I lived in Adams Morgan for 15 years but know I currently work in Adams Morgan. In the 90's Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream store was introduced to Adams Morgan. Eventually, they painted a mural of three cows eating ice cream, as they ride their bicycle. Ben & Jerry's is no longer there, the mural still stands, even though its a bit faded. There's the Marilyn Monroe mural on Connecticut Ave., & Calvert St., NW. On 18th St., NW a few doors down from the Dinner, as you enter an alley into a public parking garage underneath a building, on your left hand side there's a mural. The purpose in mentioning this is that I interpreted graffiti as vandalism and the murals as artwork.

Chapter 6 in Chang's Can't Stop Won't Stop Book explains how graffiti was seen on New York's train line because it operated 24/7. It was later seen outside of the train as it went through Queen, Brooklyn, Manhattan, and other areas. I learned that individuals used graffiti to mark their territory, to feel empowered, it was an alternative life for the graffiti artists. Graffiti is also used as language. Language is a mode of communication through the use of symbols or sounds. Communication can be written, verbal, non-verbal, or signed (ASL or BSL). Communication can occur between two or more individuals.

Now, when I come across graffiti I will not see it as vandalism; I will see it as the graffiti artist expressing his/her idea, thought, emotion, or sending a message.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, I always thought of graffiti as art but that was because I grew up not even knowing what graffiti was. I still see it as a form of expression. Graffiti artist should have the chance to show their work to others without being punished. Its often painted on other people's property and if that is such a big problem the city should give these artists the ability to show their work and give them designated places and areas for them to fully have the chance to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't initally see it as art at FIRST. It wasn't something that I was accustom to seeing growing up in Ohio. I grow up in Detroit until the age 8 and then moved to a township in Ohio it was something that I frowned upon at early age. I compared it to scribbling on the wall when you weren't suppose to.

    We see things different from childhood thru adulthood.

    The evolution of the mind is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete