Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Chang's (CSWS): Chapter I "The Bronx and the Politics of Abondonment"

In the beginning of chapter I America is going through segregation. Civil rights activist, Jackie Robinson was the first African-American in baseball's major league. Nine years later Reggie Jackson was the first Black player signed with the Yankees. When Reggie Jackson retired he also became a civil rights activist. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcolm X were also civil right activist's who fought for equality.

The beginning of this chapter reminds me of an exhibition I went to called "Indivisible" at the National Museum of the American Indian. It gives insight on the struggle of African and Native individuals because they did not fit into society’s racial categories. They were looking for acceptance, honor, and respect because they are Native American people and they are African American people and their combined community has built this country and their community. These individuals and in general want others to hear their voices, listen to their concerns, and understand their perspectives. It is good to welcome who we are, be who you are, and be proud of who you are. In order to demise racial discrimination everyone should help and accept all the people for who they are. Race is always playing some kind of role as to who we are and how people perceive other people, but we must look beyond that.

The chapter then mentions the building of the Cross Bronx Expressway, tenants being displaced due to slum landlords, and loss of employment. These are issue which are currently seen in America. I work for a non-profit agency, Housing Counseling Sevices, Inc. I remember when we had a large number of clients who had defaulted on their mortgage payments due to loan scams, loss if household income, language barrier between the client and the mortgage company. Now, the majority of our clients are individuals who are in need of rental and utility assitance. Its seems that the budget is very tight because most agencies in D.C. have used their money or they have to wait unitl the next fiscal year. Then there's gentrification, to 'better the community'. Its very depressing to me because people do not have anywhere to live and shelters have reached their capacity. I will never forget, one day a client said to me " its hard times out here and sometimes it makes you want to rob somebody." I thought about and I understood because if I had a family to feed I would do whatever it takes to provide for my family. Some individuals commit robbery but not because they want to but because of anxiety, frustration, and the pain of seeing their family suffer.

I wonder if America will be ready for another Great Depression???????

No comments:

Post a Comment