Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Breaking It All Down Article (Vibe Breakdancing Article)

The article written by Cristina Verán gives an overview on b-boying. It is interesting to know that each crew had their own style. They wore pumas, adidas, windbreakers, Le Tigre shirts, kangol hats, and Gazelle sunglasses. In the beginning b-boying was only seen amongst Blacks but then it was seen in other races. Eventually, the crew was no longer, one race but it was a mixed race. I found interesting how b-boy crews eventually had b-girls. Attitude, style, and confidence was vital for each crew member.

B-boy was documented in the 1982, Style Wars. It was also introduced to the public through t.v. shows such as Davis Letterman and 20/20 news. It reminds me of movies such as, Honey, Step up, and Save The Last Dance. I did not see the movies but just by looking at the trailer it portrays b-boying.

It would be nice to have local places where one could go and enjoy b-boying or a museum that would provide the history of b-boying. Overall, b-boying is an art.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I wish I was from NYC, especially the Bronx. I wonder if I would actually have the "love" for hip-hop that everyone seems to talk about. I I really dont know any of the old school rap songs because most of them originated in NY. I am from the south and the music that there play in the country is way different than what I have listened too since traveling to NY. I have actually never seen a real b-boy perform. Ive seen kids attempt it but I wasnt to see a real kid from NY show off his skills. Or what is I could be a b-girl :) UHHhh definetly not happening but it was all a dream. hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching history in the making and being apart of the history in the making....is priceless!! When you reading something or see something of TV it is given from someone else's vintage point which my have some bias to it. So I much rather experience it myself. Not knowing that what I witness in Detroit during my summer vacations would create balance and understanding to this class. I saw history in the making and that's real to me. So every opportunity I get I emerge myself with different experiences for better understand and relate to my surroundings. Cause you never know when histroy is in the making.

    ReplyDelete